Your Adoption Attorney in Greenville TN Answers FAQs about What to Expect

If you’re going through the process of adopting a child or giving a child up for adoption, you probably have a lot of unanswered questions. If so, that’s normal. The adoption process can be confusing, overwhelming and even intimidating. That’s why you need an adoption attorney in Greenville TN working on your side. Here are some common questions that people have about the adoption process and some answers to those questions.

What is the difference between a “closed” and an “open” adoption?
In its most basic sense, an open adoption means that you as the birth mother will continue to have contact with your child and the family that adopts them. Contact can be through different types of mediums, including letters, emails, pictures and even visits. It’s generally up to you and the adopted family to determine the frequency and type of contact. With a close adoption, contact is sometimes allowed. However, it’s more limited. It might include anonymous letters or it could include no contact at all. There is usually a discussion between the adopted parents and biological parents to reach an agreement that both parties feel comfortable with.

Can the birth mother change her mind after signing the adoption papers?
The answer to this question depends on the state in which you live. Some states allow the birth mother to back out of the agreement within a certain amount of time after signing the official papers. Others may not be so flexible. If you’re doing an adoption in Tennessee, you should check with an adoption attorney in Greenville TN to see what the regulations are. There have been cases when the birth mother has changed her mind weeks after the adoptive parents took custody of the child and the courts sided with the mother and returned the child to her.

What if the father isn’t a part of the baby’s life?
When you go to an adoption agency, most of the reputable ones will try to find the legal father of the baby. If they do locate him, they will notify him of the potential adoption. He will then have a certain time frame in which to respond. If the father wants to be involved in the adoption, the mother must agree to let him be a part of it before the agency or attorney will allow it. The father will also be eligible to receive the same support that the mother receives during and after the adoption process.

If you have more questions about the adoption process and your legal rights as a birth parent or adoptive parent, come to the Law Offices of Andrew E. Farmer. We can answer your questions and help you through this process. You can find more information at Website and schedule a consultation.

Be the first to like.