Divorce can be a scary and uncertain time in your life. Your marriage is falling apart despite the work you have put in to keep it together. The happiness has run dry and it is time to come to an end. Where do you go from here? What happens to the kids? Do you get to keep the house? How will you separate the joint funds? When the breakup occurs, you are angry and frustrated and sometimes cannot think straight. The divorce is inevitable and no reconciliation is in sight. Obtaining the services of a divorce lawyer in Glendale can be the only solution.
Divorce is especially troublesome when you have been married for more than five years. In this period of time, you have obtained property, possessions and possibly even borne children. When you have so many pots and pans to sort through, a divorce lawyer is a necessity. The benefits for retaining one will be profitable to you as the end result.
* The attorney may try to setup a mediation session. This is where the two parties either with or without counsel try to settle on a plan of action. During this meeting, you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse try to agree on money matters as well as custody of the kids. Surprisingly, mediation works rather well on ironing out problems and signing the divorce decree.
* When mediation fails, the battle may become worse. Work well with your divorce lawyer to write up a settlement agreement. Try to put away the hurt and anger to come up with a solid plan to settle quickly. When children are involved, your attorney may wish to try everything before having to go into a court setting.
* Typically, your respective sides would continue to try to settle out of court. This could be a long process, especially when you both want one or two items in the divorce decree your own way. The divorce lawyer will try to change the other parties’ mind by either trading the item with another or mentioning a court proceeding.
* When all else fails, your divorce lawyer will set up a court hearing. When that occurs, the two lawyers will discuss the items in the decree and what each party wants. Sometimes, the adults and the children testify. Other times, the judge just hears the attorney’s sides and read documentation that is presented.
* Provide any information, no matter how small it seems to your lawyer. All documentation, even text messages, may be valuable facts for the case. Even though no one wants to sling the other in the mud, sometimes it happens. Your divorce attorney is present to keep your head cool and to present the facts as they pertain to the law.
A divorce lawyer in Glendale has one job to perform — obtain everything that, by law, you have a right to. When children are involved, more-than-likely the case will go in front of a judge. Your attorney fights for your rights and tries to receive the best settlement possible.