The death of a loved one is probably one of the most painful moments that one has to go through in his life. It is even more hurting when it did not occur naturally but rather as a result of someone else’s fault. If your loved one died for reasons you believe could have been avoided or because another person intentionally killed him, you can file for a wrongful death claim. A few examples where Wrongful Death Hampton VA claim is applicable include:
- When a person intentionally kills a person
- Death due to injuries caused by poor working conditions
- Death caused by car accidents due to a negligent driver’s fault or poor condition of a person/company’s car
- Death caused by medical malpractice
The plaintiff must be able to prove that the defendant caused the death and that it could have otherwise been avoided. The plaintiff must show that the accused or defendant had a duty of care for the deceased which he violated. His negligence must be proved to have directly caused the death or injuries that led to death. The plaintiff, through medical examinations, must also show that the injuries that led to the death of his loved one were the primary cause of his demise. The plaintiff must further show the court that a big gap has been left behind after his death, both financially, physically and emotionally. Having proved all that, you should be compensated for the losses affecting, or that may affect, you as a result of the death. Click here for more info.
In a wrongful death claim, one can be compensated for the following:
- Financial gap left behind, especially if the deceased had dependents
- The pain the deceased suffer prior to his death
- The medical costs incurred
- Value of services lost as a result of the deceased’s death
- The care, love comfort, nurturing, guidance and companionship lost
Debates exist as to who should receive wrongful death compensation. If you are a spouse, children of the deceased or parent to the deceased, you can be sure to receive compensation. Others like distant relatives may be compensated, but there must be solid reasons behind it. To find a lawyer who is competent in Wrongful Death Hampton VA, visit Grobellaw.com.