Recovery Help from a Property Damage Attorney in Clarksville

If your vehicle has sustained damage in an accident, you have two choices: you can hire a Property Damage Attorney Clarksville and file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance, or you can file a claim under your own collision coverage. If you file a claim under your own policy, you’ll likely have to pay a deductible of $100-$1000 as listed. Below, you will find the steps to take to resolve a property damage claim after a car accident.

1. Call the insurer to report the claim. Don’t discuss how the accident happened, or talk about your injuries with anyone from your or the other driver’s insurance company. Instead, send a copy of the accident report; you will get a claim number and an adjuster’s name, which you will need to refer to later.

2. Get a minimum of two estimates (in writing) of the cost to repair your vehicle.

3. Send the insurance adjuster copies of the written estimates.

4. Whether or not your vehicle is to be repaired, you’ll need to determine whether storage and towing costs are covered.

5. If you file a claim under the collision part of your own auto insurance policy, you’ll have to find out if there’s rental car coverage included. If it is not, the defendant’s insurer should pay some or all of your rental vehicle expense. When filing under the other driver’s policy, you should be reimbursed for the lost use of your vehicle, at a rate of about $15/day. If the above expenses are payable under either driver’s insurance policy, you’ll need to provide copies of the bills to the appropriate insurer.

6. Tell the insurance adjuster where you are taking your car for repairs (if the car is repairable).

If the repair cost is more than 80% of your car’s value, the insurer will likely declare it a total loss. If that is the case, you and your Property Damage Attorney Clarksville should negotiate for a fair reimbursement amount. The amount should include the car’s fair market value, lost use, sales tax and rental car costs, as well as tag, license and title transfer fees.

Be the first to like.